Thoughts on preparing for tomorrow in the Garden State...

If you've landed on this blog by mistake, please follow this link:


www.NewJersey.PreppersNetwork.com

Please update your bookmarks and the links on your sites.



Join our forum at:


Friday, April 9, 2010

Straw Bale Gardens

While surfing the garden sites looking for new and organic ways to garden I came across using Straw Bales as raised beds. Now, I know from when I was living on a farm that a wet bale of hay can be an issue in the barn and I also knew from looking at bales left in the field that stuff had no problem growing in them. But I never ever thought about growing vegetables in them. Well, I do now. I will be settting a bunch of bales along my fence line for additional plantings as well as a barrier to that pesky groundhog (He can also climb the fence as well as go under it). The bales as they are cultured and watered generate a good amount of heat for the roots while keeping them nice and moist. In the fall, till the bales into the soil and bam, they're gone.

Check out this "how to" site on using Straw bales in your gardening.

STRAW BALE GARDENS

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wondering if you will be writing or teaching about your experience?

NJ Jay said...

Absolutely, I picked up 3 bales today for planting and a couple for mulching.

New Jersey Preppers Network Est. Jan 17, 2009 All contributed articles owned and protected by their respective authors and protected by their copyright. New Jersey Preppers Network is a trademark protected by American Preppers Network Inc. All rights reserved. No content or articles may be reproduced without explicit written permission.