Thoughts on preparing for tomorrow in the Garden State...

If you've landed on this blog by mistake, please follow this link:


www.NewJersey.PreppersNetwork.com

Please update your bookmarks and the links on your sites.



Join our forum at:


Monday, July 20, 2009

Vacation Preps

High Folks, just got back from vacation. A very exciting 2 weeks in Florida sailing, snorkeling, fishing and other great adventures. But while I was out on the water I got to thinking about what I would do if SHTF while I was on vacation. And frankly I was unprepared for that event should it occur. I would have been trapped in Florida with nothing more than my luggage and my wallet.

I admit to never giving any thought what so ever to preparedness while on vacation. I have some serious thinking to do about that. What about you?

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

In my thinking there are two issues here.

The first is what do you do in the event of an emergency at hand while away from home (vehicle break down, lost in the desert/ocean/mountains, or urban unrest?

The next is how to get to your preps if truly the Schumer hits the whirling blades while you are away?

Regarding the first scenario, whenever I travel where I must pass through security, even on short trips, I bring my travel prep kit, basically a small 4" x 7" x 1" Plano transparent plastic lure container that holds my emergency kit - Leatherman wave, duct tape, para cord, waterproof matches, mini-medical kit, tinder, flashlight, signal mirror, condom (water carrier) compass, whistle, space blanket & 2 powerbars. You have to check it because of the knife & matches (to the annoyance of my business colleagues and wife on occasion) but it has saved the day on many instances. You get used to the "boy scout" comments if it is discovereed, but looks benign enough that no one in the party gets too upset.

If I drive, I of course have my full 3 day GOOD pack.

For the second scenario, without getting too much in bunker mode, the first issue is an alert status review. Check the news, smell the wind for threats and cancel your plans if it is too risky to leave. I was in England once and rescheduled a flight after watching the angry mobs in India - London had a metro station gassed that day and the city went into lock down mode.

On the other hand if the news is fairly benign, then go ahead and travel with as much prep as you can take with you. Always keep a chunk of cash on you and remember charter flight companies that may be flying if commercial airlines won't. Cash is king when emergencies hit. Similarly don't forget about trains which may travel in bad weather that grounds planes. Lastly, if you can vacation in close proximity to like minded family members or friends, and when the offer is reciprocal from you to them, you may find a haven in need.

Just my $0.02

New Jersey Preppers Network Est. Jan 17, 2009 All contributed articles owned and protected by their respective authors and protected by their copyright. New Jersey Preppers Network is a trademark protected by American Preppers Network Inc. All rights reserved. No content or articles may be reproduced without explicit written permission.